G1 Addicts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your 1 stop G1 spot.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please come rejoin our new and improved forum @ www.g1addicts.com! Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

Guide: Unlock T-Mobile G1 and Bypass Activation + AT&T EDGE Settings

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Name/Nickname:
Which G1 do you have?:
Do you have root?: yes

Guide: Unlock T-Mobile G1 and Bypass Activation + AT&T EDGE Settings Empty
PostSubject: Guide: Unlock T-Mobile G1 and Bypass Activation + AT&T EDGE Settings   Guide: Unlock T-Mobile G1 and Bypass Activation + AT&T EDGE Settings EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 1:10 pm

There’s been a lot of buzz surround the issue of unlocking the T-Mobile (HTC) G1 Phone whether it be for use on other carriers or for the heck of it. From my research, I’ll try to write as much detail people have found in regards to unlocking this phone.

Bypass Activation:

Bypassing the activation screen will not allow you to use the phone with the other carrier. It merely allows you to use the phone’s features while being connected to a wifi hotspot.

1. Insert friends activated T-mobile SIM into G1 along with battery
2. Power on and wait for setup screen
3. Go through setup process to link any Gmail account
4. Go to Settings > Wireless Controls > Wi-Fi Settings > Enable Wi-Fi
5. Connect to nearby Wi-Fi network if one is available
6. Optional: Stop the phone from syncing with Gmail account by going to Data Synchronization and unchecking Auto-sync, Gmail, Calendar, and Contacts
7. Once done, take out friends SIM card and insert unactivated SIM that came with G1

Unlock the Phone:

unlock g1T-Mobile requires you to have your phone active for 90 days before they can grant you an unlock code for your device. But if you’re lucky as I was, they will submit a request to have your phone unlocked whereby they send HTC your IMEI number and they will email you with the unlock code.

To date, this is the only method to unlock the phone unless someone smart enough is able to create an application that will magically unlock your phone. In the mean time, if I get enough IMEI numbers and their matching unlocking codes, I can figure out the algorythm to the codes and make codes available to everyone. So if you’d like to help out, email me your IMEI by leaving a comment (I won’t approve it so it won’t be displayed publicly). To start, I have access to 4 T-Mobile G1 (family plan) that I will have unlock codes for, hopefully soon. The more IMEI + unlock codes I get, the quicker I can do this. Here’s a picture of success,

G1 Unlock AT&T Screen

g1 unlock att screen

AT&T EDGE Settings (updated 10/25/08 20:00 – credit Fred @ nubbyswasteland.com):

If you were lucky enough to unlock your G1 and would like to use your phone with AT&T on the EDGE network, use these settings:

name: AT&T
apn:wap.cingular
proxy blank
port blank
username:wap.cingulargprs.com
password:CINGULAR1 must be in caps
server blank
mmsc:mmsc.cingular.com
mms proxy: wireless.cingular.com
mms port:80
mcc:310
mnc:41
apn type blank

“also mnc seems to depend whether your on the east or west coast” – Fred

Note: I had to change the mnc back to 410 and then it worked. The edge symbol popped up and was able to access the internet. So if mnc 41 doesnt work, put in 410.
Also, i selected “connect to 2g networks only”